Monday 12 August 2013

Get Your Blog On Babe!



There is always that fine line when it comes to the topic of blogging. Should I? Or shouldn’t I?  You’d be surprise to know that many people are hesitant and a little nervous when it comes to blogging.  I was once if that boat, wondering if people would find my content interesting. Will it play a role in my career? And of course the mind blogging question of what will I write about? But I quickly realized that blogging is a very effective and efficient way to connect with your target audience and focus on your market.  

The first thing you need to decide is what do you want to accomplish with your blog? For example, if you’re a company or business your objective may be to build awareness of your company through your blog.  Or you may have a very strong passion or interest towards a certain topic and your objective may be to educate, advise or give feedback. For example, I created Socialmedcomm because I have a strong passion towards the marketing industry, especially PR and Social media. Because I am fortunate enough to have a lot of previous experience with both PR and Social Media at a young stage of my career, my initial goal was to reach out to “social media rookies” and share my knowledge and advice with them based on my prior occurrences

The second thing you need to do is the easiest step of all: BE YOURSELF! Blogging is about being and posting the unedited version of you. Unless your brand or company is trying to create a certain persona, then by all means post accordingly. But for the rest of you future bloggers, try to be as natural as possible the key is to create a connection where your readers feel comfortable with you, and can see relate to you through your blog, by simply being yourself will allow being with similar interest as well as your target base gravitate towards you as they are able to relate and comprehend your blog posts. So forget pretending you are some stuck up, and boring individual in order to get attention to your blog and just be wonderful and unique YOU!

Lastly, in order to have a brilliant blog that will keep your audience coming for more, you must market your blog! It is important in order to gain reader and subscribers to your blog that you market your blog on a consistent basis. Whether it is monthly, daily or weekly is completely up to you! But in order to gain popularity and gain more readers marketing your blog is essential.  For example, I personally post my blogs on a monthly basis and tend to captivate my audience through sites such as: twitter, Facebook, inserting my blog link on to other forums etc.  Typically, I start a buzz about my blog close to when I am about to create a new blog post. Then once again, when my new blog post is released.  I also market my blog when I see related links. For example, if I see somebody is tweeting about “blogging tips” I may join the conversation by saying something such as:

“Great tips @ABC123 I would like to invite you to check (insert your blog link) this is my latest #blog on starting up a blog!”


Don’t get frustrated, be patient, stay focused and most importantly HAVE FUN! Build the voice and persona you want for your blog. And for those of you who are blogging about your company or product, remember  honesty is can be easily felt and viewed online, so don’t try to hide a bad product or over exaggerate it with a spectacular review, let your audience know how you really feel and I assure they will let you know how they feel that their feedback as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment